Thursday, February 10, 2011

Journal 2: Join the Flock and Enhance You Twitter Experience (Nets T-5,3)


Ferguson, H. (2010). Join the flock. Learning and Leading with Technology, 37(8), Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/learn/publications/learning-and-leading/issues/Join_the_Flock.aspx

Besides Facebook, Twitter has become the new sensation. People talk about tweeting this and follow me on that, it is a new wave of communication through technology.  It just goes to show how technology has become part of everybody’s life whether they are on the go or in the office. I now have two twitter accounts one for business and the other for personal. I use my personal one not to socialize but more to follow. I use my personal one to see what is going on, any new events near my area since I do not have facebook. But I am looking forward to using my business (school) twitter for educational purposes.
I admit I am hesitant to twitter with people I do not know. But I will only know what I limit myself to and socializing with other people is a way to open your mind and have a great insight to things I may have never consider, of course given they are sane individuals. Hadley said it best, “The wonderful thing about Twitter is that you can simply follow people and not say a word. Just read the tweets, click on links to blogs, and learn.” With this social network I am able to build a network with other individuals who share the same interests as I do.
Shannon gives great insight in how to manage all social networks as one. She gives great advice in how to organize and enhance twitter to make it easier to tweet and get the most out of it. The twit deck seems intense and if I was an intense tweeter I would put this tool to use because of its functionality and convenience. 
  1. What are some advantages to using twitter?
It is a great way to network and meet people who share similar interest. It can help to bring some useful information to the table. Teachers will share useful tools that they used during their class instruction and how well it work. Then someone who was following their tweets sees this and decided to use the same tools in their classroom. It is similar to retweeting, you are giving this individual a compliment by saying you liked their insight. Or as Hadley put it, “Twitter helps these strangers come together to create a community built on communication and collaboration dedicated to making learning and education the best it can be.”

2. When the semester is over, will you continue to use twitter for educational experiences?

If I get a good experience out of this class for using twitter I will, but for the moment I am optimistic. I am willing to learn how to use this social network for educational purposes. I have never consider it being a resourceful tool but after reading the articles I am starting to see twitter in a new different light. I am looking forward to see what it has to offer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment