Friday, March 11, 2011

Journal 7: My Personal Learning Network (Nets T-5)

1.   Johnson , S (Producer). (2009). Digital Footprints: Your New First Impression [Web]. Available from http://edupln.com/video/digital-footprints-your-new
  
  My Personal Learning Network, PLN, consist of Twitter (social networking site), Diigo (bookmarking website), blogs, and Educator's PLN (a personal learning network for educators). My PLN will help me as an educator to have a connection to a wide variety of resources to use in my classroom. I am also able to connect with a network of people who share similar interest. With my PLN, I am able to ask questions and receive different perspectives from educators in similar fields. 

With the use of Twitter I am able to follow my classmates and Professor Heil. I also follow other math educators. With Twitter, I have the ability to participate in educational chats to include #ed422, #mathchat, #ntchat, and #PHDchat.  I participated in a math chat on Thursday around 4:00-5:00 p.m. I simply lurked the chat only because I was wanting to observe for my first experience. But after spending 40-45 minutes in the chat I realized how useful this tool is to my future classroom. One teacher asked for fraction game websites for her students and people were filling her inbox with different websites. One teacher shared how students only care about getting an answer whether it was right or wrong. He stated how most teachers want students to give them the right answers but he wanted them to give him the wrong answers. This way he has the ability to work with the student and see where they are struggling. Some people asked for help tweeting, "anyone in math chat that wants to review first chapter of my algebra book" with a provided link. Some people talked about their own techniques in their classroom, how they used music to introduce fractions. There were problems posted as well as statements in regards to math. I was just amazed in how teachers help teachers regardless of the question. It is comforting knowing that I am not alone, and how there are teachers who are so willing to help.

In Diigo, a bookmarking tool, I tagged top 40 podcast for teachers, how building a PLN can help my students, 50 best education technology blogs, Classroom 2.0, Educator’s PLN, and personal learning networks 101. I tagged these websites because I believe they are useful tools to help me become a better educator. I am able to view blogs that only deal with technology and education in the classroom. I can gain a better understanding of how my PLN can help my students. My bookmarks discuss current events in education and how to use technology in the classroom.

I joined the Educator's PLN: The personal learning network for educators. I watched a video on digital footprints, your new first impression. It discusses the use of social networking sites used by employers to screen potential candidates. Our digital footprints are our new first impression for employers. It tells others where we have been and where we are going. This is why it is important to know what I am leaving behind because I never know who is watching. In 2008, 22% of employers reported using social networking sites to research job candidates.1 Each year the number increased. Some of the content that discouraged employers from hiring a candidate include: posting provocative or inappropriate photographs or information, pictures or information about them drinking or using drugs, bad mouthing a previous employer, co-workers, or clients, showing poor communication skills and falsifying qualifications1. Content that encouraged employers to hire a candidate: profile provided a good feel for candidates personality and fit within the organization, profile supported candidates professional qualifications, candidate was creative, and showed solid communication skills, they were well rounded, other people posted good references about candidate, and they received awards and accolades1. This is why it is important to keep it clean when publishing blogs, pictures, or information. I must try to collaborate and contribute in meaningful ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment